Everyone knows that toddlers can be cranky. They can be a real pill sometimes. I mean, everyone has bad days, but sometimes does it seem like your toddler is in a bad mood every day? Yeah, we’ve been there, too.
I tried everything I could think of to help my little ones be in a better mood. Below are some of the things that I found were really helpful in keeping the cranky moods in check.
1. Reinforce Good Behavior – This is probably one of the best things that you can do to combat a cranky toddler. More often than not, praising your child when they do something good puts them in a good mood that is bound to last for a little while and make them want your praise again.
2. Be Silly! – This one may sound odd, but kids love to laugh! A quick joke or tickling them is a quick and easy way to diffuse a cranky kiddo situation. And it will make you laugh, too! It’s a win-win!
3. Don’t Reward Bad Behavior – Your child knows how to get their way with you. You may or may not be aware of it, but whining is a tool used by every. single. kid. ever. They want candy? They whine. They want to be picked up? They whine. They want a new toy at the store? They whine. And what do you do as a parent? You might tend to give in because it quiets your kids down and sometimes it is just easier. But what this is really doing is telling your kids that they just have to throw a fit and they will get what they want. The next time that they try whining to get what they want and you say no, they throw a fit and get cranky with you. So you need to stop giving into all of the whining and bad behavior. You will be so happy that you did!
4. Spend Quality Time With Your Kiddo – This one may sound like a no-brainer, but spending some quality time with your child every day means the world to them. Getting down on their level and play a game of their choosing and keep your phone out of your hand. Doing this every day with your little ones will make them feel loved and important to you and will cut way down on their cranky feelings throughout the day.
5. Slow Down and Smell the Roses – Slow your roll, Mama. Too many times we, as parents, try to rush our toddlers to be on our time table. More often than not, this creates tension and frustration for both parents and kiddo’s. Slow down. Look at the flower or watch the dance they want to show you. You will both be happier and feel less rushed.
But the best piece of advice that I can give you for keeping your little ones cranky-free is keep your attitude in check. I know that this one may not seem entirely logical at first, but hear me out. Your tiny humans feed off of your energy and your attitude. If you are in a grump mood, they will be in a grumpy mood. If you are angry or frustrated, they will sense that and get in a grumpy mood, too.
But on the other hand, if you are happy and positive, your kids will be too. If you smile and giggle and be silly with them throughout the day, they will be happy and silly and care-free.
Using the tips and tools above, you will be setting yourself up to enjoy your days to the fullest with you toddler!