Self-care as a parent is vital to your mental health and the health of your family. “You can’t pour from an empty cup” is a saying that has been said time and time again. But it is so true.
You give and give to your family, making meals, doing the laundry, playing with your kids. When do you have time to do something for yourself? So often we put ourselves on the back burner, but in reality, we need to make our self-care much higher on the priority list.
Self-care comes in many forms, and you know what it takes to fill your bucket so that you are the best mom or dad that you can be. For me, self-care looks like an hour of mindless T.V. or playing on my phone after the kids are in bed. I need the quiet time to decompress and let my mind relax.
Here is a list of 20 self-care ideas for you!
- Enjoy a cup of coffee or tea before the kids wake up
- Take time to read a book
- Listen to music
- Listen to a podcast
- Get a manicure or pedicure
- Do your hair and makeup even you don’t have plans for the day
- Meditate for a few minutes every day
- Journal – either a bullet journal or a traditional journal
- Take a bath
- Snuggle up on the couch and watch your favorite TV show
- Watch a favorite sporting event
- Learn a new skill or language
- Make yourself a fancy dinner
- Go to a movie by yourself, or with a friend or significant other
- Color in an adult coloring book
- Join a mommy or daddy group that interests you
- Relax and do nothing for one day
- Dance while cleaning the house
- Draw or paint
- Go for a jog
- Go for a hike
- Have a date night once a month (it doesn’t have to be fancy, even staying at home and cooking together while someone else watches the kids can do wonders for your self-care.)
Are you tired of dealing with your kids’ attitude alone? You shouldn’t have to! We were built for community! Come join us in Parenting With Purpose and talk with real women, just like you, about all things parenting! Join here!